Bahn Mi Prosciutto Sandwich
The Mom 100
If you need a simple and delicious idea to make your lunch at the office a little more exciting, this prosciutto sandwich is for you. The Prosciutto di Parma adds Italian flavor to a traditional Vietnamese bahn mi, with spicy mayo enhanced by the flavorful slaw, all of which pair with classic French or Italian bread. A leftover pork roast makes this prosciutto sandwich the perfect next-day treat for everyone in the family or to give a kick to that same old office lunch. A light wheat beer is always a refreshing treat with Prosciutto di Parma. This recipe comes from The Mom 100, who was inspired by her visit to Specialist retailer Buon Italia in New York City.
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup seeded cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup daikon radish, shredded
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons torn, fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
In a large bowl combine the carrot, cucumber, daikon, scallions, vinegar, fish sauce, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Then refrigerate 1-2 hours to let the vegetables slightly pickle. Stir in the mint and cilantro.
SPICY MAYO INGREDIENTS
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon gochujang, sriracha or other hot chili sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
SPICY MAYO INSTRUCTIONS
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the hot chili sauce and the lime juice. Season with a bit of salt.
- 4 6-inch piece baguette
- 8 thin slices cooked pork roast or loin, warm or at room temperature (about ¾ pound total)
- 4 large, thin slices Prosciutto di Parma
- 1 cup baby arugula
When you are ready to assemble and serve the sandwiches, halve the baguette lengthwise. Place 1/4 of the pork on the bottom of the baguette, cutting the pork to fit the baguette. Layer on some of the slaw, then drape 2 pieces of prosciutto over the slaw. Top with 1/4 of the arugula. Swipe the top of the baguette with the spicy mayo and place the bread on top.
Number of servings (yield): 4