There is nothing better on a cold winter day than a nice creamy bowl of hearty soup. Pairing the soup with toasted and garnished sliced bread is a great compliment of flavor and texture for a delicious meal. The creamy and salty soup with the side of bread will leave you wanting more. Enjoy this dish on a cold day next to a warm fire.
- 5 Cup(s) white onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 Cup(s) peeled potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 Cup(s) Prosciutto di Parma, chopped
- 4 Cup(s) vegetable stock
- 1 sprig thyme, sage, and rosemary
- Flour, as needed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bread
- 3/4 Cup(s) Prosciutto di Parma, sliced
- 3/4 Cup(s) fontina cheese
- herbs and extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Put the sliced onions and chopped Prosciutto di Parma in a saucepan with the butter and herbs and cook on low heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle a little flour over the preparation and mix together.
- Add the potatoes cut into pieces.
- Pour hot stock over and cook for 55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the herb sprigs from the soup and purée it.
- Transfer the cream to a saucepan, place it on the heat, add salt to taste and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Brush the bread slices with a little oil, sprinkle over the grated cheese and put them in the oven to cook au gratin.
- Remove bread from the oven, place the Prosciutto slices on top and serve with the soup with a drizzle of oil, herbs and pepper to taste
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.